Dear Year 9 Pupil,
It gives me great pleasure to present the following guide for potential courses being offered at St.Brigid’s school in 2016/17. The compulsory curriculum which all pupils must follow at St.Brigid’s is as follows: GCSE Religious Studies, GCSE English Language/English Literature, GCSE Numeracy/Mathematics, GCSE Separate Science, GCSE Welsh, Physical Education, PSE and the Welsh Baccalaureate. This compulsory curriculum takes up 19 hours of the 25 hours available for the teaching week. The remaining 6 hours allow you to choose three option subjects, one subject from each option line. These chosen option subjects will each take up 2 hours. The Final Option columns offered will be formulated from the Free Choices made by you in January 2017. In making your choice of subjects the following points ought to be considered:
- It is important to know the facts about each subject. The majority of the subjects are already familiar to you but one should seek information about the new subjects that appear in the columns for the first time. Information about subjects will be available on Careers Wales Online.
- Select subjects that you like and enjoy. Do not be influenced by your friends.
- Select appropriate subjects for a particular career you may have in mind.
- Select subjects in which you are making good progress. Ask your subject teachers for assistance in making your decision.
- Do not select subjects merely because they are easy or novel. It may be necessary for you to select a subject you dislike or find difficult in order to gain suitable qualifications for your future.
- You will follow the subjects you choose up to Year 11 Final Examinations, once the courses have started, changes can only be allowed at the Headteacher’s discretion.
I look forward to meeting you and your parents/guardians at Options Evening. However, if you have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to come and ask me.